St. George's Chapel of St. Peter's Church, Cobourg in Gores Landing
The original St. George’s Anglican Church was erected in 1847. The first service was held on January 1, 1848. Archdeacon Bethune from Cobourg conducted the Communion Service. Thomas and Catharine Traill and their family were among those in attendance. In 1867, the Rev. Archibald Lampman arrived as rector and his incumbency lasted for seven years. By the end of the century the fifty-year-old church was deteriorating and no longer safe.
The present church was built in 1908. Stones gathered from nearby fields by the men of the church helped to keep down the cost of rebuilding. Its gothic design is based on that made by J.A. Ellis, a Toronto Architect. Gerald Hayward designed the tower which would house a large bell donated by St. Peter’s Church, Cobourg.